M.W. “Pete” and Audrey Bursch purchased the “Bus Depot Café” in Alexandria in 1956, serving travelers by selling Greyhound Bus tickets and eventually, airline and steamship tickets and vacation planning.
As a result of consistently providing customers with reliable travel information and service, the travel agency outgrew the restaurant and bus depot business. Fred Bursch took over company operations in 1977 and purchased the business in 1986.
Guided by the company mission to offer unsurpassed service to travelers, Bursch Travel continued to grow. Today, Bursch Travel has 16 branch offices and 2 satellite offices in Greater Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming and Nebraska. Bursch Travel has developed into the largest privately owned travel company between the Twin Cities and Seattle